Latest News

Below you will find all the latest news and updates from IAPF.  

Seven questions for British people living in Ireland to ask if Britain crashes out of European Union without a deal

14/03/2019 Posted by IAPF | Comments(0)

With just 15 days to go, we take a look at the things Irish-based Brits need to know about living here post-Brexit/

Over 280,000 Brits call Ireland home and that number is expected to skyrocket as the uncertainty of Brexit remains.

In fact, British applications for Irish passports have more than doubled following the UK's vote to leave the EU in June 2016.

But for the thousands of UK citizens who have already set up home here, what will they need to do to live and work here legally if Brexit officially goes through on March 29?

With just 15 days to go, Niamh Anderson takes a look at the things Irish-based Brits need to know about living here post-Brexit.

I have a British driving licence. Will I need to apply for an Irish driving licence before March 29 if there is a no-deal agreement?
Yes. If Britain crashes out of the EU with no deal, your UK driving license will no longer be recognised here after March 29.

Anyone with a UK licence has been advised to exchange it for an Irish driving license as soon as possible as it currently takes a minimum of 17 working days to process UK exchange applications.

According to the National Driving Licence Service (NDLS), the licence can be exchanged like for like, with some limited exceptions.

To exchange your licence you must complete a licence application form, pay a €55 fee and present your UK licence at your local NDLS centre.

But be warned, you will no longer be able to apply for an exchange after a no-deal exit on March 29 which means you may have to sit a new driving test.

This could change if Ireland and the UK enter into an arrangement, but nothing has been confirmed so far. So get those applications in quick, just in case.

I have a British driving licence. Will I need to apply for an Irish driving licence before March 29 if there is an agreement?

No. The position is different if there is an agreed Brexit according to the NDLS.

It says on their site that UK driving licences in Ireland will be recognised during the 'transition period' which lapses in December 2020.

Negotiations are expected to take place to figure out what happens after that.

I am a British citizen living in Ireland. Will I need a work visa after March 29?

No. The status of British citizens in Ireland will not change after Brexit. You will not need a visa or any form of prior authorisation to travel to Ireland, any form of residence permit of employment permit.

I am a British citizen living in Ireland with a UK passport. Do I need to apply for an Irish passport?

No. Under the Common Travel Area (CTA) agreement, you can still travel on your British passport in Ireland, even if the UK crashes out of the EU with no deal.

However, this deal only applies here. For other EU countries, check

I am a British citizen working in Ireland. Do I need a special visa to work here after March 29?

No. If you are a UK citizen, you will continue to have the right to enter and remain in Ireland. You are not required to do anything to protect your status here, under the Common Travel Area (CTA) agreement.

I am a British citizen living in Ireland and I am claiming my pension from the UK. Can I still do this after Brexit?

For the 133,000 people here in receipt of a British state pension, the UK Government will continue to pay this as well as child benefits, and disability benefits to eligible UK nationals in Ireland after the UK's exit from the EU with or without a deal, according to the UK government website.

Those in receipt of a British private pension are also still legally entitled to their pension in the event of a no-deal.

However, according to the Irish Association of Pension Funds, some British insurers may not continue to pay the pensions into an Irish bank account and there could be delays in payment as a result.

But it's important to know your legal rights.

Chief Executive of the IAPF, Jerry Moriarty, said: "Under European Union rules, you have a right to have your pension paid into any member state, but no one has a clue how this will work out when Britain leaves the EU."

Read the original article here

Add a Comment

Notify of New Replies:
Add a new comment:

Important information regarding cookies

This site requires cookies, which are small text files that the site puts on your computer, to operate. These cookies help us provide a better service to you. We use these cookies to track general user traffic information and to help the site function properly. Cookies are used by approximately 92% of all sites on the internet.